Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Antelope Island run

Antelope Island run

A few weeks ago, I joined a group of about ten or so runners to preview
the course for the new Antelope Island Buffalo Run in Utah (March 18).   I really enjoyed the course.   Even though it is not far from the city, you get a very remote feeling running on the mostly undeveloped island in the Great Salt Lake, with spectacular views.   There was enough elevation gain on the course to make it interesting, but it was a fairly easy and fast run.  I ran ahead of the main group and got the treat of literally running upon a herd of about 50 buffalo.   I paused to watch the herd start stampeding away from me, listening to their thundering sounds.  It felt like I was being connected back to the 19th century.  The herd ran toward the south and then turned together and headed straight toward me!   I had no desire to race them, so started to high-tail it away.  They soon saw me again and turned away.  Amazing!  Others running that day told of seeing a herd of about 200 antelope.  Very cool.   Don't miss this new race, it should be a lot of fun.   Visit www.buffalorun.org

Davy Crockett

No comments: