Sunday, March 19, 2006

Tanzanian takes Mens Marathon

Tanzanian takes Men’s Marathon Gold

Samson Ramadhani Nyonyi of Tanzania has won an action packed Men's Marathon in a time of 2 hours 11 minutes and 29 seconds.The Tanzanian took advantage of a mid-race mishap to take gold from Kenyan Fred Mogaka Tumbo. Bronze went to England's Daniel Robinson who was three minutes behind Ramadhani Nyonyi.
"I know that the Kenyans are very strong, but I didn’t use strength, I used my brain," said a jubilant Ramadhani Nyonyi post race.
"I’m very happy, I’m feeling wonderful."Isegwe Njunguda of Tanzania had led for most of the race but had to withdraw after suffering severe cramp in his legs.
The Tanzanian's withdrawal left Kenyan Fred Mogaka Tumbo over 500 metres in front of his nearest competitor at the race's halfway stage. Ramadhani Nyonyi gradually reeled in the Kenyan over the latter half of the race to beat him by 32 seconds.Australia's Scott Westcott and Andrew Letherby finished in fourth and fifth places respectively, unable to emulate the feats of their female counterpart.
"It’s something I’ve dreamt about since I was a kid, running into the stadium in front of your home crowd," said Australia's Westcott."I'm thoroughly pleased with the way I ran. It's a very unique, very treasured experience."
The capacity crowd that awaited the runners at the MCG was "absolutely phenomenal," according to Westcott. "It's been full on entertainment, it's been brilliant, as good as the Olympics," said Paul Maligeorgos and Colin Long of Geelong who were cheering the athletes on from the stands.

No comments: