Sunday, March 19, 2006

McCann wins Womens Marathon

McCann wins Women’s Marathon

Australian Kerryn McCann has courageously won her second consecutive Commonwealth Gold medal, winning the Women's Marathon in a time of 2:30.53.Greeted by a packed house and a standing ovation at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), McCann celebrated her victory with a lap around the MCG with her son. McCann led throughout the race, only being headed once at the 10 kilometre mark."If the people weren't out there I wouldn't have gotten a gold medal today," an exhausted McCann told Channel Nine."I came up to the stadium thinking, 'silver's pretty darn good. I'd be happy with silver'," said McCann."I came through the tunnel and heard the crowd roar. That wasn't me running that last 300m."Kenyan Hellen Cherono Koskei, ran a gallant second place, running off McCann's shoulder for most of the race, but was left behind in the final 200 metres.Cherono Koskei is 17 years younger than McCann, but showed tremendous poise to stick with her throughout the race."It's fantastic; I feel very proud," said Cherono Koskei to awaiting media at the MCG.
"I just wanted to race a bit better, but it was fantastic."

No comments: