Monday, May 22, 2006

Crewing at Badwater

Denise Jones and Theresa Daus-Weber (who between them have a combined total
of 22 times crewing, planning, and/or pacing Death Valley ultra events
including two double crossings, multiple solo Death Valley crossings, and crewing
and pacing the record 160-mile south to north crossing of the Death Valley
National Park) have written a book: "Death Valley Ultras: The Complete Crewing
Guide." It is the only book ever written on the subject. I thoroughly
recommend it to any ultra runner. As an ultra runner, even if you are just curious
about Badwater or Death Valley, you will enjoy their book. It gives you a
completely different perspective on the experience.

But if you are running or crewing Badwater this year, you really "must" get
the book. In fact, I'd go so far as to say you'd be foolish not to get it!
Just the idea that an entire book "could" be written on such a seemingly small
subject should tell you that there is a lot more to be learned than meets the
eye. Even if you are a veteran at crewing Badwater, I'm sure there's a lot
in the book that you haven't thought of. It is available at Lulu.com for only
$19.99. I know if I was running Badwater again, I'd want my crew to know
everything in the book.

I feel a little foolish saying so, but I have no financial interest in the
book. How could I? Can you imagine the kickback, after expenses, from a $20
book that only has a potential of a few hundred copies! That's another reason
for buying the book... to support these two people whose only real reason for
writing the book is to contribute to our sport.

I also have a free 30-page booklet that I wrote last year, called "Running
Badwater." There is also a section in it on crewing and, surprisingly, there
is very little overlap with the above book. So, if you are running or crewing
Badwater this year, you really should get both, their's and mine. If you want
me to email a Microsoft Word version of my booklet to you, just ask me for
it by email at ultramike5@aol.com.
-Mike Henebry

No comments: